Tara and Matt; Just Got Married!

Our story began back in 2007. Matt and I had met each other through mutual friends, who also ended up giving him my number. Unfortunately, Matt first called me when I was on a date with another guy. My response was “…Can I call you back? I am kind of in a weird situation, I am going to Channelside with a friend.” Well, I never did call him back.

After that, we would pass by each other and not say a word. Our pastor and his wife kept encouraging the both of us to re-contact one another for years, but both of us were stubborn about it. Finally, on April’s Fools Day in 2011, I texted Matt. It took three days for Matt to respond (I thought he never would), and we met for coffee on a following Thursday. Since then, we’ve spent every day together.

how they asked: For my birthday Matt had surprised me by sending me to see my father in Indiana. My father suffered from a brain aneurysm in July 2007, and he lived the rest of his life in a nursing home. It was such a blessing that Matt sent me because that would be the last time I ever got to see him alive. Two weeks after returning from seeing my father I got the early morning wake-up call that he had passed on. I believe that my dad knew that Matt was going to take care of me and he could leave this world knowing that I would be in good hands.

My father had told my grandmother that he knew Matt was the man I was going to marry the first time he saw a picture of him. Little did I know, but at the time of my dad’s passing, Matt had a ring and was going to ask me to marry him, so he had to put off his proposal for a while. I was still a little blue about everything and Matt decided that I needed to have some fun so he said he was surprising me and to be ready at 7:00 A.M. on November 11th 2011.

Matt drove me to Orlando, saying he were going to SeaWorld. When we were almost there, he turned around and drove to Downtown Disney, saying we were going there because he needed to use the restroom. In my head, I was thinking are you kidding me? There are tons of restrooms between here and SeaWorld. Then we got back in the car and headed back for SeaWorld. Still all the time I was confused as to what was going on, but we did end up at SeaWorld. I had never been there before and the only thing I wanted to see was the penguins. Sure enough, Matt would not let me go see them! And to be honest I was getting very angry because it’s really all I wanted to see.

Finally around 10:00 A.M. he took me to the exit area of the where the penguins were and again I was upset because we couldn’t go see them! He then explained that we were going behind the scenes and I would actually get to pet the penguins. I was so excited! Before we went in, the guide was explaining how male penguins pick out a female penguin and give the female a rock. And if the female doesn’t like the rock she will throw it down. I had no idea that this would eventually tie into Matt asking me to marry him.

So in we went to see the penguins and that’s exactly where Matt asked me to marry him! Everyone but me had known and was waiting. It was so special and one of the happiest days in my life.

Photos by Carrie Wildes Photography