Shelby and Drake

How We Met

When Drake and I first met, we were both attending STLCC Meramec in Saint Louis, MO. We took the same English class and we both sat in the back of the classroom. He sat at the cool kids table while I sat with the quiet, shy kids.

I have always had a hard time talking to people, so we hardly ever talked. One day, I found him on Facebook and sent him a message saying I would like to be friends. We started messaging back and forth and we eventually exchanged snapchats. I could barely talk to him in person because I was so shy and he was so handsome, but we constantly snapped.

Eventually, we drifted apart because we both found someone else to be with. After a few months and the beginning of a new semester, we ran into each other and reconnected instantly. We had a mutual friend and we all hung out everyday. Our significant others started to get jealous and they told us we couldn’t see each other anymore.

But we would secretly go different places with our friend because we couldn’t stand being apart. We did this for a few months and it was absolute torture. His girlfriend at the time found my number and would call and text me threatening my life if she found out we were hanging out again.

After a while, I finally left my ex (for many other reasons as well) and went to Drake. He left his girlfriend and we could finally be together. We went on our first date to the Garden Glow in the Botanical Gardens in Saint Louis in December.

It was cold, but it felt like magic when we walked through the golden Christmas tree lane and finally had our first kiss. We both knew we would be together for the rest of our lives in that moment.

how they asked

Throughout the whole month of October, Drake had been taking me on dates almost everyday and spoiling me. I wasn’t sure why, but of course I went along with it. Almost every Friday, we would go to the Botanical Gardens and walk around. We would always sit at our favorite spot for hours on end in the Chinese Garden. Hardly anyone knew it was even there and it was always so peaceful.

On October 21st, 2016 at 10 AM, we entered the Gardens entrance and walked around everywhere for a while. It was a chilly autumn morning, and he was holding me with every step we took.


We finally reached our spot and we sat for about half an hour, just talking and enjoying each other’s company. At one point, he asked if he could hug me and I said yes. He stood up and we hugged for a while and I could feel his heart racing.

He held me tightly when he asked me if he could ask me a question. My heart began to beat faster when I realized what was happening and I said yes. He let me go, for down on one knee and I immediately began to cry.

“Shelby, I love you so much, and I always have. I never want you to leave my side. So will you please do me the honour of staying by my side for the rest of my life?”

He pulled out the ring and I cried even harder as I tried to say yes! He slipped the ring on my finger and he held me as we cried together.


We didn’t have a photographer or anyone else there with us. It was serene, peaceful, and perfect for us.


It was an incredibly intimate moment with the love of my life, and I never would have had it any other way.