Sally and Dion

How We Met: Dion and I met on the 9th of June 2006. It was the days of MySpace and through mutual friends we started talking on msn and then eventually it led to phone calls. Even though we had never met it felt like we had known each other forever.


On the night of the 9th of June,  we finally met at a band night and instantly fell for each other. He lived 3 hours away by public transport but he still travelled to see me. On the 19th of June it became official. Many years of him travelling all that way to see me followed and we have only fallen more in love as the years have passed. Two and a half years ago I made the move to live closer to him and we purchased our first house together and it has been the best time of my life.

how they asked: A few years ago I did a “Dion appreciation day” where I spoilt him all day and we did all the things he loves. After that day I’ve always joked about when it would be Sally appreciation day. On the 20th May I was woken up with breakfast in bed and a letter letting me know today was Sally appreciation day. Dion told me to get ready and he wouldn’t tell me where we were going.

We drove to the train station and caught a train to Newtown. He led me along the streets until we arrived at my favourite cafe, where we had a lovely brunch.


He then led me into the city where we explored the botanic gardens. He then looked at the time and told me we needed to go. We then ended up at the bottom of the harbour bridge, where he then told me that we would be climbing it. It was such an amazing experience. After that he then told me we needed to walk to another area of Sydney and we ended up at a restaurant where we had gone to early in our relationship and loved.

Sally-n-Dion-2It was such a lovely meal and I was so happy. After that we then headed home and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face as I went on about how amazing sally appreciation day was. Little did I know the best was yet to come. When we pulled into the driveway, Dion told me to wait in the car and he would message me when I could come in. I was just sitting there thinking he probably was going to light the fire and we’d watch a movie. I got a message saying “don’t freak out, but just come inside”.

As I opened the door I could hear our favourite song playing and the lights were off. I looked down and saw rose petals and candles leading me to the back of the house, I instantly burst into tears of happiness. Through the house he had hung photos of us and scattered cards that we had made each other over the years. As I walked out to the back deck I saw Dion standing there amongst candles, holding flowers and below him was a big love heart saying marry me sally.

He then got down on one knee and presented me with a beautiful ring that I had pointed out a long time ago in a catalogue and he had kept and then taken to a jeweller to be custom made. I couldn’t stop crying and laughing and I didn’t know how to react. I said yes of course and he placed the ring on my finger and we proceeded to dance around the kitchen for ages.


He had been planning this for 6 months and little did I know he had even asked my parents that long ago for their blessing. At this point we had been together for 8 years and I didn’t even have a clue he was planning this. Previous weeks when I was out he had asked his brother to come over and he had set up all the fairy lights and pictures exactly how he had wanted it and his brother had memorized it and taken pictures, then taken it all down before I got home, so that while we were at the city he could come over and set it all up.


That day will forever be one of the best days of my life and it makes me feel so special that he put in that much effort and reinforced how much I love him and can’t wait to call him my husband.