Maggie and Wellie


How We Met

In August of 2010 I was a junior and Wellie was a freshman at Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland. A week before all the students arrived for the new semester, band camp was starting for the Towson University Marching Band. It was amusing to see all the new trumpet players as they nervously met with us older students for the first time, not really knowing what to expect. In the middle of the group of new students, a tall freshman stood high over the pack. At 5 feet flat, I immediately spotted the new, cute, tall guy in the crowd and decided to go over and welcome Wellie to the band myself.

Our relationship blossomed throughout the next school year when Wellie was a sophomore and I was a senior. We practically lived together in his dorm room, either when I was studying for countless hours or when he was working on music production (a hobby of his throughout college). Our first date occurred sometime within this span. Driving an old beat up Pontiac Fiero at the time, he came to pick me up and take me to the Cheesecake Factory. His demon car, on the other hand, had other ideas.

Right as he pulled into my parking lot, the radiator blew leaving a huge puddle of green liquid all over the ground. Needless to say it was a memorable occasion, and we took my car. When my last semester at Towson was coming to a close, I started to wonder what would happen to our friendship after I graduated. I had invited Wellie to sit with my family on the day of graduation and watch me walk across the stage to receive my diploma. Afterwards we went to a celebration dinner at Phillips Seafood in downtown Baltimore. On the way to dinner, we had stopped at the local Barnes and Noble in the Inner Harbor where the two of us had spent plenty of time previously. While I browsed around, Wellie came up to me and asked if I wanted to start dating him exclusively.

After waiting a long time for this question, I now wasn’t sure of my answer. I would be moving back to Pittsburgh to take a job and Wellie would be staying at school in Towson for another year and a half. After some thought I reluctantly, but joyfully, agreed. Despite the challenges of a long-distance relationship, we have thrived. When Wellie graduated, he was able to find a job and move to Pittsburgh fairly quickly. Six years and some odd months after that fateful day that we met, we are engaged to be married!

how they asked

The morning of May 20, 2016 was odd. Wellie had never, in his entire life, gotten up earlier than he absolutely needed to in order to be at work on time. Considering this fact, I was concerned when I woke up at 6:30 AM to find him missing from the apartment and his car absent from the parking lot. Immediately going into panic mode, I called Wellie to find out where he was. When I half-shouted into the phone to ask him what was going on, Wellie leisurely told me he was fine, and to go into the kitchen. Confused, I went to the kitchen and found an envelope and a bottle of my favorite wine on the counter. Wellie told me to open the card. Totally lost at this point, I opened the envelope to find a card that told me, in colorful big letters, that today is the day! I was told to shower and pick my favorite outfit, and then check my green travel suitcase for more info.

In a frenzy, I showered, made a quick breakfast and then spent an hour and a half picking out an outfit. When I had finally settled on my favorite, I got dressed and went straight to the green suitcase. There I found a second envelope with a card. This one explained that I had a manicure appointment at 11 am and was to call Wellie afterward. It was currently 8:30 am. Those 2 and a half hours were the longest hours I have ever waited for anything in my entire life. Every time I glanced at my watch, sure that an hour had gone past, only five minutes had crawled by. Finally, finally, it was time. I hopped in the car and set off to the salon, totally unaware that this was only the first stop on a long journey. When I got to the salon, I checked in and had a lovely manicure that Wellie had booked and paid for me. With my new fancy fingers, I dialed Wellie again. He told me to check my glove box and that there would unfortunately be radio silence until I saw him later. Mystified, I agreed. I opened the glove box and found a third envelope.

This card contained a Panera gift card and had an address written inside. Upon closer inspection, the address was listed in Baltimore. I was in Pittsburgh. The short note stated that, yes, I had read that right. I was going to Baltimore! Once I was parked, I needed to head over to the top of Federal Hill Park and look for the big American flag facing the harbor. I grabbed a quick soup and salad at Panera and set out for a four hour drive. Once again, time slowed to a crawl as I impatiently navigated the seemingly endless expanse of road. My only respite was found in the excitement that was boiling over inside of me! I found myself wondering what else Wellie had planned for the day. After finally arriving, I saw the giant American flag on the top of Federal Hill Park waving over the Inner Harbor in the near distance.


As I got closer, I checked a final time to make sure I had indeed put tissues in my purse because, let’s be honest, by this time I knew exactly what was going down, and I almost couldn’t handle the anticipation.

The soothing voice of Siri on my phone led me to the bottom of the steps to Federal Hill Park. I started to climb the stairs and, at the very top, I could see Wellie looking out over the Harbor. I finally reached him and was handed yet another envelope.


This card said “Hi  You’re standing right in front of me and looking the most beautiful that I have ever seen you… I can’t believe it’s been over six years that we have known each other.


We have accomplished and endured so much and I am proud to be the man that I am because of you. We bring out the best in each other and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you. Today marks the most important decision that we will ever make together and on that note…” I looked up to see my very best friend and the man of my dreams down on one knee with a ring in his hand.


Wellie said “Maggie, I promise to love and cherish you till the day that I die, and I promise to do everything in my power to make you happy for the rest of your life. Will you marry me?”


I cried as I said “Yes!” and he slipped the ring on my finger.


The tissues I’d stashed definitely came in handy! After the biggest moment of our lives had passed, Christa, a friend from Towson and a great photographer, came out of nowhere and told me she’d gotten the whole proposal on camera.


Wellie had planned everything perfectly! Christa did an engagement shoot with us around the city afterwards, taking pictures at all of the landmarks that had been important to us throughout our time at Towson.


That day was the happiest day of my life so far.



I got to say yes to my best friend asking me to spend the rest of my life with him.