Liz and Mike

How We Met

Mike and I met on Tinder in December, 2015. We started with the standard small talk about how we were both from Baltimore and quickly found out that we went to the same elementary school. While he was a grade ahead of me, we overlapped for 4 years before he ended up going to a different school for middle school. As soon as we figured this out, I asked him out (something I still tease him about to this day!) with the suggestion that we “meet up and swap McDonogh stories”. Our first date was on December 9, 2015. We met at Rye, an upscale whiskey bar in Fells Point. We were hitting it off after a few drinks so I suggested we move to Max’s for some cheaper beers rather than spending $15/cocktail. We had our first kiss at Max’s that same night. It turns out that not only did we go to the same school, our parents both had us take ballroom dance lessons as children at the same church so we had definitely danced together as kids and never knew it! It’s crazy to think of all the times we had probably been in the same room together without knowing each other. We quickly progressed through dates 2 and 3, during which I introduced him to two different groups of my friends at holiday parties (it was a trial by fire situation for sure) and when they all loved him, I knew I had found a good one. About a month after meeting, we purposefully got snowed in together during a Baltimore blizzard. We ended up exchanging “I love you’s” for the first time during that snowstorm and the rest is history!

How They Asked

Mike and I had talked for awhile about how we wanted to get married. I expressed that it was important that he talk to my parents before proposing so he arranged a meeting with them while I was busy one Saturday. After asking for their blessing, they met up with his parents and went to the jeweler to get the ring. Mike, my parents, and his parents ended up having a celebratory glass of champagne at a nearby restaurant and taking a picture – none of which I knew until I saw the picture post engagement.

We had two trips planned in the upcoming months; we were going to Nashville in April and Amsterdam in June. Mike kept subtly dropping hints about getting engaged in Amsterdam to throw me off the track. Little did I know, he was planning to propose in Nashville. It was our first time visiting the city. We had booked an AirBnB about two months before the trip, only to have our host cancel on us the day before we were due to fly out. I called Mike as soon as I got the cancellation email – we were less than 24 hours away from the trip and had no place to stay. He was freaking out (as was I) and we booked a last minute hotel for more than triple the price of our original AirBnB. Mike assured me that the price didn’t matter as he just wanted us to have a great trip.

On Saturday, April 21, our first full day in Nashville, we set out to explore the city on foot. It was a gorgeous day and about 70 degrees out. When we stepped outside to check the weather before heading out, I toyed with the idea of not wearing a jacket. Mike was insistent that we may want our jackets and said he would carry them if we got hot. After about five minutes of walking, we had both already removed our jackets and I offered to turn around and put them back in the hotel. Mike was adamant that we should just hold on to them so we carried them around all day. I found this a little odd, but just rolled with it.

Fast forward about 8 hours: after spending the whole day enjoying the sights, sounds, and food of Nashville, we stopped back in the hotel to clean up a bit and change for a night out on the town. Once again, he insisted we bring the jackets with us. We walked down to the pedestrian bridge that crosses the Cumberland River for the great views of the city. We had been meaning to get there all day but hadn’t made it yet so it was our first stop after the hotel. It was still beautiful outside and the bridge was packed with high schoolers taking prom pictures, a wedding party, and other pedestrians. As we got to the top of the bridge, I stopped to take a picture of the city. It was then that Mike stopped me to tell me how much he loved me. As he dropped to one knee, he reached into his zippered jacket pocket and pulled out the ring. He asked me to marry him and of course I said yes! Happy tears were steaming down my face and we were both over the moon. A small crowd had gathered on the bridge and started applauding and cheering but we barely noticed them. A few minutes later, a stranger came up to us and said she caught the whole thing on camera and proceeded to send a whole set of pictures to us. We called both of our parents to share our news and they were both waiting for the call. He then explained that he had been carrying the ring around in the zippered jacket pocket all day since he thought I would notice the ring box in his pocket – hence, his insistence on carrying the jackets all day. We went to a nearby bar and got a bottle of champagne on the rooftop bar to celebrate. We spent the rest of the weekend over the moon and excited about our future wedding!

Special Thanks

Fells Point
 | Location