Lindsay and Joseph


How We Met

It’s still hard to believe but Joey and I met when I was a newborn! Seriously, he was two years old and I was just born!!! I still have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming of the most perfect love story ever.

So this is how our story begins, Joey and I were next door neighbors (literally shared a backyard separated by a fence) our moms became the best of friends. Weekend sleepovers with Joey and my brother Michael happened on a regular basis. Since I was the youngest I looked up to Joey and easily he turned into my first crush (literally tearing up right now). Weekend sleepovers turned into spending family vacations together which then turned into spending holidays together as a big family. Little did we know this would make life so much easier as we don’t have to split holidays now!


When I was 10 years old and Joey 12, our families moved apart. We moved up to Westchester County and Joey moved out to Long Island, attending different high schools and colleges Throughout that time, our moms were still best friends, though Joey and I lost contact and didn’t really talk much. The summer of 2013, about 10 years after our separation, my father decided we should have a family reunion in Westhampton at Joey’s parents house.


Saturday August 10th, 2013 was when I walked into the summerhouse and my life changed (I am currently bawling my eyes out). Joey was standing in the kitchen with both our families. I could not believe this was the person I grew up with, I was shocked, in love and terrified all at the same time. My boyfriend of 2 years just broke up with me literally 5 days before our family reunion so I looked like a hot mess. My eyes were puffy, and I had a popped blood vessel in one eye from crying so much.

Needless to say, I didn’t feel pretty at all nor looked it for that matter. But Joey looked past all the vanity and we started to talk, reminisce about our childhood memories and catch up on the years we lost touch. Since I’d just gotten out of a relationship I definitely didn’t want to jump into anything that quickly. On top of all of that, Joey and I knew that this was it, we couldn’t play games with each other or start a relationship that wasn’t going to be serious. But of course me being who I am, I definitely played hard to get (as any girl would do!) We spent nights staying up late talking, he consumed my life in every way possible. I wanted to know everything about this perfect human being, he was (and still is) a gentleman in every way possible.


When I returned to work that Monday I had a flower delivery, the next week another flower delivery and so on. I felt like I was in some sort of fantasy! On September 2nd, 2013 Joey and I went on our first date at the rooftop of the Kimberly Hotel. I seriously could not imagine a more perfect date in my life, I felt like I was in a movie. The lights were so whimsical, the atmosphere was magical and I had the dreamiest man sitting right by my side. Joey and I dated for about 2 and half years then he proposed.


how they asked

In order to tell about the proposal I have to backtrack to May 17th, 2008, coincidentally Joey’s birthday. My high school boyfriend and I just broke up, and you know how it is in high school, everything is the end of the world! Well of course, like a typical teenage girl I blew this breakup our of proportion and jumped to drastic measures. I came home from school and told my mom, who was on the phone with Joey’s mom Sue at the time, that I’m marrying Joey. How I’m fed up with boys and marrying Joey would just be perfect, we share the same morals, family history, and background with each other.

So I jokingly wrote out a “contract” stating that I would marry Joey in 15 years. Sue flipped and said she can’t wait that long. So the terms of the contract changed and it became 7 years, I made two lines one with my signature and one for Joey’s. My dad saw the contract later that night and of course wanted it to be official so he made an extra line underneath mine and became a witness.


Now to the proposal! Joey and I just entered into a contract for purchasing a house. On November 21st, 2015 Joey told me we had a “2:30 appointment with the broker” to go walk through the house and take measurements. When we arrived in Douglaston Manor, he read an email saying “the appointment was postponed”.

Joey suggested we walk to the park across the street just to kill some time. We walked to a bench overlooking the water, we sat and talked for a while. Then Joey hands me an envelope, inside the envelope was “The Contract” I wrote back in 2008!




I still had no idea what was going on until I looked up and saw Joey on one knee. Right after the proposal I found out there was really no appointment to go see the house. He took me out to eat and surprised me with a small intimate party with our parents and grandparents.





Special Thanks

Alan Abrams