Cortney and Luke

Image 1 of Cortney and Luke

How We Met

Luke and I had met in high school. After some convincing from a teacher I had joined band as a percussionist my sophomore year in order to branch out a little more. On my first day I walked into the classroom and met the band director. He welcomed me and then proceeded to make introductions. The percussion class consisted of about 10 people. Everyone seemed very nice and were really sociable. Then he got to the lead snare player. He was sitting in the corner twirling a drum stick with his sunglasses on (yes, he was really wearing sunglasses inside!) “Thats Luke” said my band director. He looked up at me and replied with a quick “sup”. My first impression was this guy is totally full of himself. As high school went on he changed my mind and proved to be very sweet and funny. We quickly ended up becoming best friends.

High school came to an end and luke ended up enlsiting into the marines. We reamained friends as he wrote me letters all throughout boot camp. After, he ended up going to a school house in Mississippi while I stayed in California going to school. I vividly remember one day as I was walking out of a dance rehearsal he told me to call him. I did. He was telling me how much he missed me then suddenly blurred out “I think I’m like, really in love with you.” I was shocked. I said I had those same feelings and the rest is history. We had a long distance relationship for 2 years when he asked me to marry him!

how they asked

Luke and I hadn’t seen each other for 10 months when he finally got leave accepted. I was so sick of texting and Skype after all that time away from him. We both were counting down the days until we could be together in person again. When the day finally came I couldn’t contain myself. I had a late dance rehearsal the night I had to pick him up from the airport so I had to change and get ready to see my boyfriend for the first time in months in the dance studio bathroom. It was pandemonium. All of my friends were in their with me trying to make sure I looked just right and not like I was a sweaty mess who just came out of a 4 hour rehearsal. I left the studio in a hurry to meet him. I arrived at SFO at 3 am. I almost sprinted to the baggage claim to wait for luke. After what felt like an eternity but was really about 10 minutes, I saw him. I basically tackled him in the middle of the airport. It was the most amazing feeling to have him pick me up and kiss me again. The last time we had kissed I was ugly crying because I didn’t know when we’d be able to see each other again.

We held each other and were way happier than anyone waiting for luggage after a 6 hour red eye flight should be. When we got back to my car at the parking garage I notice him drop his bags and kind of pacing around my car as I search for my keys. I asked him what he was doing and he quickly responded with “Oh…uh. I’m doing absolutely nothing!” ” it was strange but I figured he’s probably just exhausted. I later found out that he was gripping the ring in his pocket and debating on asking me to marry him. Luckily he decided he wanted to wait and not propose to me in an airport parking garage.

We we spent all night and all day catching up even though we were both so tired. After a party at his parents’ house to welcome him home, we ended up taking an evening drive around town. He ended up coming to a stop at the park across the street from our old high school. I was confused why he wanted to stop here at 10 at night. He turned to me and said “Let’s go for a walk” I thought he was crazy. I laughed and told him “It’s raining why do you want to walk in this?” He shrugged and said “Hey, it will be a fun memory” I decided to humor him and go on the walk. He gave me his jacket and held my hand as we walked through the park. He took me to a giant tree next to the swing set and said “Remeber when I’d walk you here after school and wait with you until your sister picked you up?” I chuckled at the memory and told him how he’d always hug me without making eye contact as I left because he was nervous.

We continued walking across the street to the high school. He took me to our old geo science classroom.. He looked at me and said “Remember when I came into class and told you I was enlisting?” I told him I remembered and how shocked I was that he had decided to do that. He then took me to the football stadium and said “Remember when we’d sit in the bleachers during football games and I’d tell you to tuck your hands in my hood to keep warm?” At this point I was starting to wonder why he was taking me through our old memories of high school. We proceeded to walk to the band room. With the rain still coming down he asked “Remember when you first met me and thought I was a jerk?” We laughed and I apologized for judging him so fast. We then walked back to the front of the school to the big yellow gate. This gate was where our friendship was built and I always told him what a special place I thought it was. “Remember when you’d wait for me before school started right here?” I said I did.

In that moment in the middle of the night at our old meeting spot at our high school in the pouring rain he took my hand. He told me that our long distance relationship has been hard and that I’m strong for allowing him to do his job. I now knew something big was coming. He told me how much I meant to him and that all of our memories in this place led us to where we are right now. He told me he doesn’t want to have to go for moths without being with me and he wants to wake up beside me every morning. He then reached in his pocket and got down on one knee. “Will you marry me?” I was ecstatic and told him yes. He scooped me into his arms and kissed me in the rain. Where awkward teenagers once stood and joked a newly engaged couple stands and embraces. It was the perfect proposal filled with so much meaning to our relationship. We got married that December and are now living in North Carolina for the remainder of his enlistment. We couldn’t be happier!

Image 2 of Cortney and Luke