Caleb and Julia

how we met

Caleb and I met in the sanctuary at a church that I had just started to attend. He was the choir director, and when I asked if I could join the choir (I still won’t admit whether or not it was because I thought he was cute), he later told me that he saw my blue eyes and promptly went back into his office to look me up on Facebook to see if I was single. At the time, I had no idea that he was interested in me. After many Wednesdays of choir practices, I told my best friend that I thought I could fall in love with my choir director. That night, he asked me about the poetry I write and if I’d be interested in writing lyrics for his song arrangements. It took him a few more weeks before he finally got the courage to talk to me again! Even on our first date, which happened on a Wednesday, I was still unsure if it was a meeting about song lyrics or if he actually wanted to get to know me. When he bought my coffee, I knew he was interested. It was only a few weeks later that he asked me to be his girlfriend on a Wednesday night in a coffee shop. After that, Wednsedays became our thing.


how they asked

It happened on Wednesday, which was going to end up being the coldest day in Ohio in twenty years. On the morning of the proposal, my dorm mate, Bonnie, came into my room and handed me a Mr. Goodbar (my favorite chocolate bar), and on the back was a sweet poem from Caleb that ended with, “And tonight I’m going to ask you to be my wife.” While I excitedly got ready for the day, I received a phone call from my Grandma and Grandpa, who live in New York. They read me another poem that Caleb had written to me and then proceeded to encourage me with sweet words. After Bonnie and I settled in at a local coffee shop for a few hours, I continued to receive multiple phone calls from close friends and family, and I could barely contain my joy as they all read poems that Caleb had written to me. After a few hours of trying (and failing) to get some work done, my sister and brother-in-law (who had driven up from Tennessee that morning) surprised me at the coffee shop with a HUGE teddy bear and another poem. Later that day, my sisters and friends did my hair and helped me get ready for whatever was next. We all piled into a car and they drove me to the Dayton Metro Library in Dayton, Ohio, where they dropped me off and watched as I walked into the gorgeous lobby alone. Caleb was sitting at a mini grand piano in the middle of the sparkling foyer, playing the keys softly. He sang a collaboration of three songs that we had listened to many times while dating, and then got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife! Seconds later we were ushered to this small table near the piano. My parents (who I thought were in Michigan where they lived) came in with our drinks and surprised me! It was so special to have them be the first to congratulate us. Other family members from across the country started periodically surprising me with different pieces of our meal. When they all disappeared into a back room, Caleb and I ate our yummy food. After dinner, I followed Caleb into an event room where, to my surprise, all of my family and his family were waiting. Even more of a surprise was the Hauer Swing Band on the stage! They started playing live music as Caleb yelled, “SHE SAID YES!” and everyone cheered! I was so surprised to see the full, twenty-person jazz band that Caleb occasionally sang with all set up and playing some of my favorite music just for me. Caleb joined them on stage and sang romantically while our family relaxed and danced together for the rest of the evening. I will always remember when Caleb and I slow-danced to the jazz band playing, “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong on the coldest Wednesday of the decade. I love that we’ll be slow dancing to that song for the rest of our lives.

Special Thanks