Brooke and Anthony


How We Met

I met Anthony during my freshman year at the University of Missouri — which was his sophomore year. He was dating someone else at the time, but we became acquaintances and would say hi to each other every now and then.

Fast forward a year (and a couple of failed relationships) later, and he and I were both finally single. By then, we had gotten to know each other a bit better and it was obvious to everyone around us that sparks flew when we looked at each other.

The day I left school to go home for winter break my sophomore year, he asked me to grab lunch with him. We sat and talked for hours before he drove me back to my sorority house so I could catch the bus to the airport and fly back home to Michigan. When he dropped me off, he asked if he could call me during the long drive back to Texas the next day. I said yes, we kissed, and he left. The next day we talked on the phone for nearly 8 hours, and we’ve been inseparable ever since.


We officially started dating a few months later in April 2012, and two months after that we were certain we’d found our soulmates!



how they asked

CBRE, the company where Anthony works, had hosted a fancy charity event once while he was working and I was finishing up my final year at Mizzou. He and I love getting dressed up together, so I was bummed I didn’t get to go with him. A few months later, he told me that the company was going to throw another charity auction and it would take place a few weeks after I would move down to Dallas to live with him. I was THRILLED! The week of the event, I went to his office and all of his work friends were telling me they were excited to see me for the event that weekend — I was so excited, I’d literally been counting down the days since he told me about the event two months beforehand. Day of the event, I went and got my nails done, got myself all ready, and he even helped me pick out what to wear. He suggested we go to the roof of our apartment complex, The Taylor, to take photos with the gorgeous view of downtown in the background. When we went up, we took a few pictures, then he turned to me and said, “Brooke, these past two years have been so incredible, and I love you so much. I lied to you earlier — there is no event tonight. This is the whole reason why we’re here.” Then he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I immediately started crying, of course. 




But I completely lost it when I discovered that his entire family and our friends were there to surprise me afterwards — including two of our closest friends from Missouri who drove 8 hours to be there for the proposal. He had invited my parents to come down from Michigan, but unfortunately my mom had ended up in the hospital that week due to health complications, so they weren’t able to make it. Still, the entire proposal and subsequent party was absolutely overwhelming and without a doubt the most phenomenal thing anyone has ever done for me.


Special Thanks

The Taylor
Lauren Gilmore |