Abbey and Brian

Image 1 of Abbey and Brian

How We Met

Brian and I met on July 4, 2009 which was the summer before our senior year of high school. We met at a mutual friend’s house party and we’re immediately drawn to each other. We went on our first date the next evening to see the movie “The Proposal”. We continued to see each other every single day for a month when he asked me to be his girlfriend at his 18th birthday party.

Back then, we would make a wish every time the clock struck 11:11. At his party, we were sitting together on the papasan chair and he looked down at the time and told me to make a wish. I asked him what he wished for and usually he wouldn’t tell me because then it wouldn’t come true. But he looked at me and said “I wish you were my girlfriend”. So of course being an awkward teenager, I asked “Are you asking me to be your girlfriend”? But of course I said yes!

Image 2 of Abbey and Brian

Image 3 of Abbey and Brian

how they asked

Brian planned a day date for us to take a tour of the Bissinger’s Chocolate Factory in St. Louis, Missouri. I was excited because what girl doesn’t love chocolate?! Brian is probably the only person on earth who doesn’t like chocolate so I just planned to eat his share.

We were running late to the tour because Brian couldn’t decide what to wear. He ran up to Nordstrom and bought 3 pairs of pants. Then as we were leaving, he had to run up to our apartment 2 times to make sure he locked the door. I should have seen this coming from a mile away, but I’m so glad I didn’t.

The tour guide (event coordinator) sent us a confirmation email for our tour with details on how to enter the building. When we arrived, our guide took us up to the Caramel Room. Brian had to run to the restroom and later told me that it was because the ring was loose in the box in his pocket. The tour guide told us they were taking photos of the venue for their website so there may be photographers around. As we were walking up to the terrace, I saw a photographer and said I’d stay out of his way.

The night before a large ice storm hit St. Louis. When we walked out onto the terrace, it was so icy that I was looking at my feet to make sure I didn’t wipe out. I moved to the mats that were leading up to a fire pit, love seat, heater and champagne. I just figured that was how they set it up for couples viewing the venue for a potential reception space.

As I got closer, I noticed there were pictures of us from the past 7 and a half years of our relationship strung up behind the love seat. That was the moment when I knew what was going on and realized that the photographer was taking photos of us and not the venue.

After Brian asked me to be his forever, we popped some champagne and then it started to rain freezing rain. Brian asked if we should go inside and see his accomplices. We went inside and we’re greeted by his sister and my nephew. It was at that moment when it all became real and the tears started to roll.

Image 4 of Abbey and Brian

Image 5 of Abbey and Brian

Image 6 of Abbey and Brian

We spent the rest of the evening calling our loved ones, telling them our news, and driving to see our parents. I couldn’t imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone other than Brian. I have been completely drawn to him since day one and the feeling is still the same.

Special Thanks

 | Photographer
Sarah Marsden
 | Event Coordinator