Anna and Henry


How We Met

Henry (more casually known as Teddy) and I met at a Halloween party in college. I was a sophomore and he was a junior. He was dressed as a character from the TV Show “Family Guy” which required a messy black wig and an eyeliner mustache. Meanwhile, I was dressed as a cliché sexy devil. Not quite a match made in heaven, as it would appear. Nevertheless, he asked me to dance and asked me for my number before I left the party. We went on our first date the following Thursday and he told me he would pick me up outside of my building. Naturally, I was a mess.

I had honestly never been on a real date before so I had no idea what to expect. I mean, we were complete strangers – what were we supposed to talk about?! My roommate, Ali, did a wonderful job of calming me down as much as one could. The date went much better than expected, given my nerves, and I was able to eat 4 bites of my pizza slice. When I offered to pay for my half eaten slice and water – he laughed and insisted that he could manage.

Now, normally this is the part of the story where I tell you that more dates followed and we fell madly in love, but that is not at all what happened. You see, roughly just one month before Teddy and I met, both of us had been in serious relationships. After mine ended I told myself that I would be single and enjoy being independent for the first time in my life. In the week following our first date, Teddy and I agreed that it would be fun to watch the Redskins game together on Sunday. Although we still disagree to this day on exactly what happened, we never ended up watching that game together. Days passed and our communication broke down. In my mind, that was a sign to continue being single.

A few weeks passed and I never saw him….until one day. I had practice for the school’s club rowing team in the gym and I had hopped onto the treadmill for my cool-down. Who else do I see directly across the room lifting weights from me?! IT WAS HIM (Teddy). I couldn’t believe it. I had never seen him around before and NOW I run into him! So many thoughts were rushing through my mind, most of which had to do with how big his muscles were. I jumped off the machine and ran over to my roommate. I told her I had a major situation come up and I had to leave! I was just so nervous to see him and I was afraid of what he would say to me after so many weeks had passed since our date.

I went back to my dorm, ate, and showered. I sat on my bed turning over everything that just happened. I couldn’t shake that feeling of regret and guilt for letting my fears of getting into another relationship keep me from getting to know this really great guy. I was sitting there talking with my roommate when my phone vibrated. IT WAS HIM – HE TEXTED ME!! I immediately flipped out and threw my phone across the room onto my roommate’s bed. Minutes later, I calmed down enough to open the text message. He wanted to know what happened. He told me he really liked me and thought I liked him too. I apologized for everything and explained to him that I had just gotten out of a serious relationship and I was afraid to open up again. We immediately bonded over our extremely similar situations and decided that we both wanted to see each other again – very much so.

And from that moment on, it was history. We went to see a movie on our second date and naturally spent the next following weeks spending as much time together as we could. Every night that Teddy would walk me back to my dorm we would end up standing outside for hours getting to know everything about one another. And remember, this was in December. It was cold but somehow that didn’t seem to matter when I was wrapped up in his arms. The butterflies in my stomach had a way of keeping me warm as well.

I was falling in love with this man and I couldn’t believe it was really happening.  We came home from our Winter break on January 8th, 2013 and Teddy wasted no time making it official. He texted me as soon as I got back to school and asked me to come over. I walked through the door and he asked if we could talk in his room. He sat me down on his bed and a few gushy lines about how happy he was and how much he liked me later and the words came out, “will you be my girlfriend?”  “Why yes, yes I will.”


how they asked

Teddy absolutely LOVES to travel so when he brought up the idea of going to Germany in September to visit his best friend and travel around Europe, I had zero suspicions. Little did I know, the engagement planning began only 2 months after purchasing our plane tickets in April. My life completely changed in the midst of a moment. I can’t quite describe the immense feelings of shock and pure joy as I watched the man I love get down on one knee and ask me to marry him. Teddy and I chose not to discuss timeframes about when we would get engaged because we wanted our relationship to grow and progress naturally with no pressure about marriage; we’re so young after all! So then, when that day came that Teddy was completely sure that he was ready – I wanted to be totally surprised.


About a month out from our departure my mom suggested that Teddy and I do a photo shoot while in Paris. She knew how excited I was to finally go to the “City of Love” and she thought we should savor those memories with timeless photos. I told her that I was a little hesitant because it seemed odd to do a photo shoot if we weren’t getting engaged. For weeks she tried to convince me but in the end I “decided” that Teddy and I would just take our own photos with our tripod like we had planned to do throughout the trip. Clearly, I really had no say in the matter and Teddy and my mom were already executing Plan B: hidden photographer.


Fast forward and it’s our last day in Paris before coming home and Teddy and I had planned to take photos by the Eiffel Tower in the morning. I wanted to look nice so I wore the best dress I had packed along with these heels that I had been dying to wear! We headed out and, of course, our train broke down two short stops from the Eiffel Tower and we had to transfer to another train. I kept reassuring Teddy that it was fine and that we would eventually make it there. I noticed that he seemed a tad more frustrated than the situation had called for but little did I know he had a photographer waiting for us for a very special reason.

Forty-five minutes later and we finally made it off the train and onto the bridge where my life would change forever. I kept asking Teddy if we could stop to take photos but he just kept telling me that he had looked up a great spot just a little further down, so I kept walking. We finally arrived at the “spot” and Teddy set up the tripod while I crossed the street and stood in place for the pictures. Luckily, our photographer had waited for us and after a short head-nod between them, Teddy was ready to go. He set the camera to trigger the timer and headed across the street but instead of standing next to me and posing for the shot… he pulled out a ring and proposed instead.




Special Thanks