Alissa and John

How We Met

We met in September 2007 at a college tailgate. My sister and I were trying to make our way back to our apartment while everyone else shuffled into the game. On our way out, we got stopped by two guys. One of them immediately started hitting on my sister (not a shocker, she’s gorgeous and never goes anywhere without getting comments from people on her looks). The other one started talking to me and almost immediately asked for my number. I was taken aback because honestly, I wasn’t being the NICEST person (okay, I had to pee really bad :/ ). Finally, he took my phone and called himself so that I now had his number and he had mine. They asked us to hang out but we found some sort of excuse as to why we couldn’t. We chatted a little while longer and eventually parted ways.

Fast forward a few months, we had been texting each other randomly but nothing ever came of it. He asked me to hang out probably half a dozen times, but for some reason I found an excuse every single time. Until, one day, he asked me to hang out and I was ignoring his text. Well, as fate would have it, I saw him at the grocery store later that day and he came up to me and asked me in person. I didn’t know what else to say besides “Sure, I’ll see you later!”.

So, after months of random texting, we FINALLY hung out. I went over to his friends house and we had such a fun time that all I could think was “WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG?!”.

how they asked

I’m NOT a morning person (this does have relevance, I swear :) ). My fiance, John, is always up at the crack of dawn, even on the weekends. God love him for it, but it’s just not my cup of tea. Because he knows this, he took full advantage of that when planning the perfect proposal.

The morning of, he got up at 6 am to work out (again, not a surprise to me because it always happens). I was still sleeping but rolled over and realized he wasn’t there. I checked my phone to see what time it was and shot him a quick text to say “where’d you go?”. Apparently, the fact that I was semi-awake made him freak out a little and sped the process up a bit. I quickly fell back asleep and he came in a little bit later to tell me he was taking the dog for a walk. With no response from me, he kissed me on the forehead and left again.

About 10 minutes later, my phone started ringing SO loud. A little tidbit of information: my phone is NEVER on loud. I was obviously surprised by this but got up and answered anyway. It was John. He sounded so excited about something that the dog was doigng and told me to get up and look out the window before I missed it. Grumpy and still half asleep, I slowly made my way over to the window. I’m not exaggerating when I say I lifted up the blinds MAYBE an inch to peek outside. Once I caught a glimpse of him down on one knee and the words “Will You Marry Me?” written across our sidewalk, I immediately was speechless. Still on the phone with John at this point, I asked him “Wait, is this for real?” He laughed and told me to come downstairs. I hung up the phone, ran downstairs and met him outside with the ring and our dog by his side. He asked me again and I immediately said YES! and took the ring out of the box and put it on (no, I did not wait for him to do it. I was too excited!).

By the way, ALL of this happened before 8 am on Saturday, October 17, 2015. Now that’s a wake up call, right?!