Alexandra and Jason

Image 1 of Alexandra and Jason

How We Met

My very last day working at Albertsons, my first job ever, was when Jason and I really had an opportunity to meet and talk. We had met briefly several times before, because we had mutual friends, but never really spoke to one another. Jason had come in to Albertsons to pick up some groceries after getting back from a trip to the Bahamas. I was in front, bagging groceries for a checker, Kris, that Jason was friends with, because Jason had previously worked at Albertsons, but he quit before I ever started working there. It was early evening when he came in, he had already purchased his groceries, and came over to talk to Kris, the checker I was bagging for. Kris introduced us, and Jason and I got to talking, and we hit it off. When I had to go out to the parking lot to round up carts, he came with me and helped me the entire hour. Jason ended up staying at Albertsons for several hours, until the end of my shift at 10PM, and we talked the entire time. He was a true gentleman, and even offered to drive me home after work, but my mom already knew to pick me up, so I politely declined his offer. At the time, I had a boyfriend, so when we parted ways, we did not exchange phone numbers. A few weeks later, I couldn’t stop thinking about him, and I was no longer with my boyfriend, so I asked the checker at Albertsons for the name of the kid I had talked to all night. You would think I would remember his name, since he was such a gentleman, and we got along so well, but I am incredibly awful at remembering names. Kris provided me with his first and last name, and with that, I took to Myspace to find Jason Abadie. Once I found him, I sent him a message telling him how much I enjoyed talking to him, and gave him my number to call me. Being the shy kid that he was, he instead responded with his number, and told me I could call him whenever. As soon as I got that message, I called him.

how they asked

In 2016, while Jason and I were living in Las Vegas, we decided that we were going to take a quick overnight trip to the Grand Canyon. It was meant to be a small something to celebrate our 9 year anniversary. Jason decided that he was going to plan the trip and keep it a surprise, so all I knew was that the trip was set for September 30th, and that it was to the Grand Canyon (he wouldn’t even tell me which part of the Grand Canyon). Our actual anniversary is August 26th, so the one month wait from our anniversary to the week of our trip seemed like FOREVER. Finally, the week of our trip came around, and on the 29th, I was out picking up a few last minute necessities. Jason calls me while he is at work, and drops a bomb that neither of us were expecting, he had just been laid off. I immediately told Jason that we should cancel our trip and save that money. He calmed me down, assured me that we would be just fine, and said that we were still going on the trip. Fast forward a day and we are on our drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. As we drove through the breath taking scenery to the park, I jokingly asked Jason if he was going to propose, and then immediately followed it up saying that I was kidding, and I knew that it would be a while before that would happen since he had just been laid off from his job. It made me a little sad after I said that, but I knew we were getting married regardless, it would just now be delayed a bit. I shook off that sadness, and continued to soak in all of the picturesque surroundings.

When we FINALLY arrived to our destination, I realized that Jason had booked us a room at the North Rim Lodge, which apparently, isn’t the easiest thing to do. Due to weather conditions, the North Rim is only open from April to October, and because of that, the lodge books out months in advance. Jason was lucky enough to snag us a room after a reservation fell through. When we got out of the car, I realized why Jason wanted to keep this trip a surprise, because this place was absolutely breathtaking. The lobby where we checked in overlooked the canyon and the backdrop was so perfect that it almost seemed like it wasn’t real. I was antsy, and I just wanted to go and explore before taking our luggage to the cabin, but Jason somehow convinced me that we should go see our cabin and drop our luggage before starting our explorations. I rushed him as much as I could, because I couldn’t bear to be away from the scenery.

Image 2 of Alexandra and Jason

Within minutes of dropping off our luggage, we were back out the door and heading to one of the lodge’s trails. We walked the trail, being careful to pass people one at a time as we often hugged the edge of a cliff. When we got to the end of the mile-long trail, Jason told me he wanted to set-up the camera and tri-pod so that he could get a full picture of us with the Grand Canyon in the background. I knew it was going to take him a few minutes, and since the overlook area was full of people, I decided to climb some nearby rocks to get a clear and higher vantage point. After a few minutes atop the rocks while taking videos and selfies, I climbed down to find Jason with the tri-pod all ready to go. He asked me to get in position so that he could make sure that I was in the frame. When he asked if I was ready for the picture, I told him that I was, and he immediately came around from behind the camera, dropped to one knee, and before he could say a thing, I burst into tears and said yes. He gave me a little time to gain my composure, and he then asked me to marry him, and I said yes again. His proposal was a complete surprise to me. He was so composed that day, and didn’t even show the slightest bit of nervousness. His planning was impeccable, and he far surpassed what I had ever hoped of for a romantic proposal.

Image 3 of Alexandra and Jason

Image 4 of Alexandra and Jason