Abbey and Steve

Image 1 of Abbey and Steve

It was just a fun, fall getaway. Or so I though that’s all this was in September 2015.

We planned a weekend trip to Cannon Beach, filled with golf, fabulous food and micro brews. My boyfriend really planned it out though, including the hotel location. This should have tipped me off, as usually I’m the planner and typically we always stay at the same place.

We couldn’t get into our favorite golf course, so we settled for a round of nine in Seaside before heading to the Driftwood Restaurant in Cannon Beach for our traditional Happy Hour meal of the best clam chowder in the world!

It was about 7:10 p.m. when we walked back toward our hotel. I had asked if we could get ice cream, but he wanted to get back so I obliged, begrudgingly.

When we arrived back at the hotel, I asked if I could at least have a cookie since we didn’t get to stop for ice cream. He said that would be alright and that he would go into the hotel lobby and get one for me while I looked for a spot on the hotel deck.

The deck overlooked the beach, and is located right near Haystack Rock. It was a picturesque evening with the sun setting on the beach. When my boyfriend came outside, he asked me for my phone and my sunglasses. I had no idea why at the time, but later learned that he had wanted my hands and mind unoccupied. After putting my belongings in his pocket he started to tell me how much he loved me and how he wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. At that moment, with the sun was setting behind us, he got down on one knee and presented me the most perfect ring I could ever imagine.

Image 2 of Abbey and Steve

After he placed it on my finger, I noticed the hotel concierge handing my now fiance his phone. Beforehand, when he went to the lobby to get me a cookie (which he never got me by the way), he had given his phone to the concierge so that she could take photos of the proposal.

While we were eager to spread the news, we decided to spend that night together and tell everyone the next morning. We wanted to celebrate the moment just the two of us for a few hours. Apparently he had packed two micro brews in his overnight bag that we could enjoy while celebrating. He knew champagne wasn’t our style.

When we got back home the next day, he surprised me again. He told me that he had tickets to the Seattle Mariners game and that we didn’t just have any seats. We were sitting in the Hit It Here Café. We love going to M’s games together, in fact, that’s where we met, for the second time. The seats this night were special in that neither of us had ever sat in the Hit It Here Cafe before, but had always wanted to watch a game from those seats.

It was a fabulous evening, and apparently it still wasn’t over. Steve asked me if I wanted to visit my sister and show her my beautiful new accessory. Of course, I agreed. We traveled to my sister’s house. When we arrived, I was taken aback as my parents yellow lab bounded toward me. Why was she there? I walked downstairs and standing there were my sister and brother-in-law, my parents, my fiance’s sister and cousin and several of our close friends. We celebrated with a WSU Cougars-themed cake (both of us are alumni) and plenty of champagne.

Image 3 of Abbey and Steve

Image 4 of Abbey and Steve

Special Thanks

Blue Nile
 | Ring